Staying up to date with your backups, will give you the peace of mind you need.
After trying many different methods and plugins, I happily settled with UpdraftPlus.
I also set all of my clients up with their very own UpdraftPlus plugin when building their websites. Here is a step by step tutorial on how to use the plugin to backup your site:
- Install the UpdraftPlus plugin + activate
- Go to Settings — UpdraftPlus Backups
- Click the Premiums/Extensions tab and enter your login credentials
- Click the Settings tab and set a desired schedule
- Link to remote storage location
- Click Current Status tab and run first backup
- And you’re good to go!
Simple best practices to remember when backing up your WordPress website:
- After any major changes to your website, run a new backup.
- Store backup files in a remote location, where you can access them if your site and/or host goes down.
- Schedule backups to run automatically to eliminate the possibility of forgetting.
- Check-in on your scheduled backups every once in a while to make sure they’re running as they should.