One of the greatest investments you can make for your business is getting hooked up with some professional headshots that truly reflect who you are and what your brand represents.
But sometimes my clients tend to get stuck on this step, wondering who to book, what to wear, how to pose… they usually circle back around asking for tips and advice to get the best shots possible.
I’m a big believer in just being yourself, wearing some neutrals, inviting in some nature and letting the photographer do their job.
However, that’s my style. Maybe the indoors is more your thing with crazy pops of colors.
The most important thing is to have your headshots represent the REAL YOU.
I recently jumped on Facebook to see if any other entrepreneurs wanted to share their top tips for getting their best headshots and I LOVED the responses. Here are real tips from real entrepreneurs on how to achieve the best headshots:
- Be very clear on who you are and what you represent and make sure your clothes, the setting, the shots, the tone, etc. demonstrates that.
- Don’t try to recreate someone else’s headshots or looks.
- Authenticity is what your clients are after. It’s the only way you can attract “your people.”
- There are no must-have shots or poses or clothes. What you want to capture is just you being you.
- Don’t try to be super outdoorsy if you’re an indoorsy bookworm. Don’t try to be super glam if you’re sporty, etc.
- If you have a certain props you’d like to use, make sure you give your photographer the heads up and the space to put their own creative spin on your ideas.
- Invest in a professional photographer – and one who gets who you are, your vision and what you’re trying to accomplish with the shots.
- Even if you’re a business coach, it’s okay to be in nature and jeans if that’s your style. If you’re more comfortable in a suit and office, that’s okay, too.
- Ask yourself, “What story do you want your images to tell?” Have this answer prepped BEFORE the shoot.
- How do you want your clients to FEEL when they work with you? Make sure to convey that in your headshot with your expression, your look and style.
- Incorporate your branding colors and message when you can in your selection of clothing, props and location.
- Definitely invest in hair and makeup because you will not only look great but you will feel amazing (that spark will be captured by the camera).
- When picking your photographer, find someone who is not only creative but also business-minded and has skills in strategy and storytelling.
These tips were compiled via Facebook discussion from business coaches, mult-passionate entrepreneurs, life coaches and professional photographers, themsleves. The last few were courtesy of Professional Photographer, Mallika Malhortra of MikiFoto + Co.
For more great tips from MikiFoto + Co, click here to download her free guide sharing with you the 6 Images Every Entrepreneur Needs to Have.
If you’re at the bottom of this post and even more overwhelmed than you were at the beginning… the one piece of advice that I hear (and give) time and time again is…
Just be you and make your shots, your clothing and your location as reflective as possible of your personality.
Got your headshots down and need to know what else you should have prior to building your site? Click here for the 5 steps to take before starting your website revamp.