Just as you’d take your car in for it’s routine oil change and take yourself into the dentist for a cleaning… your website needs regular maintenance, too.
This is something you can hire out to your designer or developer or something you can take care of yourself, if you’re committed to remembering.
Keeping your site up to date with these monthly must-dos is vital for the health, security and performance of your site.
Your monthly maintenance should at least include:
- Updating your WordPress Database if there is a new version available.
- Updating your Parent Theme if applicable.
- Updating any plugins that need it.
You’ll want to make sure you have a recent backup of your entire site PRIOR to making any updates to your site.
Other tasks you might want to put on your monthly to-do list could include:
- Reviewing and replying to any outstanding comments on your blog.
- Cleaning any spam from your site.
- Clicking through your site to make sure everything is working properly.
- Reviewing your Google Analytics statistics.
- Creating a backup (off-site) of your site. Personally, I think this should be more like daily or weekly… but included it here for the folks who don’t do it all. Once a month is better than never 😉
Any questions on what should be updated verse what is self-sustainable? Questions on anything above? Post your Q below!