However, before we jump in, I’m a web designer… not a lawyer. This post is not providing legal advice and, as always, the best legal advice will come from a lawyer themself.
There are really only a few ways to get yourself squared away with the legal docs for your website:
- Hire a lawyer. They’ll be able to get all of the notices worded just right for your business, but you’ll still need to add the pop-up notice on your website somehow. This is usually a hefty fee if you don’t have a lawyer on retainer.
- Purchase a template. Many lawyers turned online entrepreneurs now offer templates for each of these notices. Typically, you’d download the document and customize it yourself with their guidance. For the full suite of docs this can run you $250-$900+. And while this might be a one time fee, you’ll want to make sure you’re covered when laws and policies change.
- Use an online generator, like iubenda. Online generators are great resources to get your notices in place, customize to your business and stay up to date with the changing policies. And iubenda even includes a Cookie Solution which makes it easy adding a Cookie Notice Banner to your website.
- Sign up for an iubenda account. Use this link and save 10% off your first month or year.
- Click the “Start Generating” button.
- Select “Website” and enter your website name. Click the “Start generating” button.
- Click the “Add Service” button and select services you use on your website. Click the “Save and close” button.
- Enter website owner and contact information and click the “Next” button.
Stop here! (maybe) If you’re working with a web designer, the following steps can easily be outsourced to them so you don’t have to worry about them. If you plan on adding this to your website yourself, carry on…
Generating your Cookie Solution (ie Cookie Banner Pop up)
This is a requirement if your website can be visited by European users or your website installs any non-technical cookies, e.g. via script like Google Analytics.
- Click the “Setup” button under Cookie Consent.
- Configure your Cookie Solution display settings. Choose position, colors and consent preferences.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Click the “Take me to the embedding instructions” button from the previous screen.
- Don’t forget to also add a quick access link to these in your footer.
Adding your Cookie Banner or Pop up Notice
- Go back to iubenda and scroll to the “Implement Cookie Solution” section (where you previously found the embed codes)
- Copy the code.
- Go to your website and find where you can add code to your Head (normally under Appearance > Customize > Code > Head Code)
- Paste the code in the Head code section and Publish changes.
And that’s it! No other plugins or fancy tools needed.
The links above are affiliate links meaning I will get a small financial reward if you sign up with my link. Please know, I only recommend tools and resources I have had personal experience with and use in my own business.