How to Add a Blog Post in WordPress + Best Practices for Doing So
This tutorial covers all the steps you need to take in order to add a new blog post to your WordPress website.
Most people think this is a simple process and it is… but there are some vital steps you need to make sure that your site continues to run smoothly, your posts are optimized for your readers and you ultimately end up with a flawless blog post.
Each time you add a new blog post you’ll want to follow these steps:
- Free-write your post
- Login to your WordPress website, go to Posts and click Add New
- Enter the Title of your post
- Paste the text in the Text Editor
- Proof read and then make the post scannable. Change one-liners and blurbs to Heading 2 or 3.
- Add images into the text body (file sizes for images should be around 500kb)
- Set Categories (remember less is more here)
- Set Tags (these are more specific than categories)
- Set Featured Image (most often your ‘branded’ blog image)
- Add any additional images into the text body
- Preview post and proof again
- Change schedule date to desired date
- Click Schedule
Once it’s published don’t forget to circle back around to your social media manager software and add it to your social schedule.
Want to optimize your post to the fullest? Use the Yoast SEO plugin and update your new post’s title for search engines, meta description and keywords in the fields beneath your post.
Hi. I'm Katie.
I'm a Certified Professional Coach turned Web Designer + Brand Strategist for Coaches. I work with established coaches who are ready to trade in their intro-level websites for ones that finally represent the change they're making in this world. Sound like you?